While material gifts can be thoughtful, clever and delicious, there’s probably nothing coming more from the heart than spending time together. Here are a few ideas on how to gift that:
– A dinner or brunch date: for food lovers and people in your life that you love but don’t see often, it can be the most wonderful gift to spend time together and catch up over a delicious meal. Check out Raising Hel Restaurants for a collective of local restaurants that have the goal to get everyone to purchase one gift card this year. Support your locals!
– A cooking workshop: when we joined a Portuguese cooking workshop at Petiscaria, it was one of the nicest activities ever. While there are more coming soon, you can also get inspiration for example through Airbnb Experiences
– Museum card: the card gives you entrance to over 300 museums all over Finland. It’s a lovely gift to give and make it for example a monthly date to go to a museum together.
– Nature experiences: such as gift cards or vouchers for something like a wine tasting in the woods or a meal in the wilderness for when the season is on again. Finland, naturally, has a bunch of absolutely lovely activities and experiences our in the nature.
– A Sauna or Spa visit – Gift cards are available for example for Löyly Sauna, Allas Sea Pool or Kuusijärvi. Otherwise, a hand-written voucher for Uunisaari sauna or Uusi Sauna are a lovely gift as well.
– The EAT FINLAND 2023 restaurant guide book is a great gift for every foodie, I received last year’s edition and loved every bit of it. It includes special deals for some selected restaurants, which are great to use up throughout the year. The book is available for Helsinki, Turku and Tampere. Limited availability, so be fast!
Finnish design goods are ever so present in many Finnish homes, and if you want to add a little something to your own, or gift a small piece of Finland, here are some of my favourite pieces. The selection is timeless and hopefully, you find something for everyone.
– A lovely cookbook – to inspire healthy veggie-based meals without compromising on the deliciousness, check out Veggies, every day of the week. Maybe add a little wooden cooking spoon and you have a great present! Publisher Cozy has tons of incredible Nordic-inspired lifestyle books from cooking to interior, that make a wonderful gift – my favourites are by Tara Junker and the amazing outdoor cooking book about Food in the Woods
– Home textiles – tea towels, pillow covers or a blanket – I love the wool and linens from Lapuan Kankurit.
– Thermos – having a large batch of hot tea during the evening or lots of coffee on a dark winter day or during brunch, are just great!
– Homeware – such as tableware from Arabia (this line is called Tuokio red), a classic Aalto vase from Iittala, a nice knife from Fiskars. I particularly love this Moments of Kindness collection my Moomin, of course!
…is important for everyone – not just the ladies! Here are three of my favourites that I have converted so many of my friends to over the years. Especially during winter, it’s important to take good care of our skin, face and hands – basically, any body part that is likely to be exposed to the elements. For those who will come to visit or those who are new to the real winters, proper skin care can make a huge difference.
– Some high-quality lip balm
– Hand lotion for cracked winter skin – a lot of my friends enjoy this lemony one
– A shampoo or soap bar for the environmentally conscious – for example this one
– put in all in a beautiful pouch or toiletry bag, such as this one from Moi Namaste
– A pair of mittens – gloves can be tricky size-wise so I don’t recommend those, but mittens are cozy and more forgiving in sizing! I love these from Moiko.
– A warm chunky beanie – ears and head need extra protection during the colder months, and everybody loves them – Vaiko is a popular local brand for them!
– Cozy warm woollen socks – for the home, or a slightly thinner model to wear in your shoes outside
– Purse or card holder – local brand Lumi has lovely wallets and accessories to add to their line of high-quality vegetable-tanned leather bags
Who doesn’t like food, and those who appreciate a nice drink will be happy with any related gifts – I have selected a couple of lovely Finnish gift ideas that will make any foodie or drinks connaisseur happy.
Some other ideas that are not listed below:
– Lumikarpalo – icing sugar covered cranberries, a favourite from all Christmas markets.
– Seabuckthorn juice or cranberry juice – great as a healthy basis for juices or shots, gift them along with a little recipe card and some fresh ginger, and you have a lovely little gift.
– Finnish gin or whisky – together with a mixer of your choice, one of Finlands beautiful domestically produced whiskies or gins are a great gift. Add a set of glasses to it (like the Ultima Thule on the rocks), and you have the perfect gift.
– Cold-smoked reindeer – I’m not allowed to come home to my dad without it – it is sold vacuum-packed and keeps very long, is easy to transport and a unique, Finnish thing to gift that intrigues many.
– Porridge “kit” – put together a little set of your favourite porridge (rice is nice during Christmas time, my personal preference is 4-grain porridge), with a small pack of oat milk, some berry jam and cinnamon – the perfect little breakfast gift.
– Fancy baking mix – Flowbake has beautifully designed baking mixes from carrot cake to these muffins, another great little gift, you could add some cookie cutters or a muffin tin along with it.
Wallart and art pieces can really pull a place together. Here are some of my favourite Finland inspired things and/or Finnish artists whose work makes a beautiful gift.
Xmas Garage and Kämp Garden – Kämp Garden, 2 floor, Pohjoisesplanadi 33
My Oh My Xmas Garage – Forum Helsinki
Lokal Helsinki – beautifully curated local art and homeware
Redi Helsinki – a mall with a large selection of second hand options as well as experiences.
Moomin shop – Lasipalatsi
Moi Namaste – Indian craftsmanship brought to Finland
Nudge – sustainable clothing and accessories, Yrjönkatu 30